Launching press releases with news, updates, and developments about your startup can build marketplace awareness, ramp up incoming inquiries, and generate potential sales.
Implementing a smart search engine optimization plan that enhances your news content with the right keywords is a great way to increase search rank and attract business.
Unfortunately, neither startups nor established companies realize that if they combine these two tactics, they’d make each of them even more valuable. They’d also achieve enduring results that would deliver measurable benefits with tremendous return on investment.
The merging of these two disciplines is called SEO public relations, or SEO p.r. for short.
SEO p.r. unites the craft of press release writing with the precision of SEO keyword placement. It allows you to share compelling information about your startup that attracts attention from prospective buyers and inspires clicks to your site both now and into the future. It’s also consistent with Google’s updated approach of rewarding content that’s meant to engage users and create a positive user experience.
Here’s how to do it:
- Create a news release about a company development that would be of interest to your target customers. Focus on a single message that you’d like your readers to remember, and write with the three C’s in mind: clarity, conciseness, and cogency.
- Determine the keywords that are most relevant to customers of your product or service. These can be found by reviewing positive customer reviews/comments about your offerings and conferring with your sales team to unearth the exact wording/terminology that their clients use in their buyers journeys.
- Go to the websites of your competition and analyze the keywords that they utilize. This will give you ideas of additional keywords that could be helpful to include in your SEO p.r. news release. Using particular keywords of your larger competitors can help you to leverage their superior market position and actually divert traffic from their site to yours.
- After reviewing your list as well as your competitors’ list of top keywords, create a working list of the most desirable gold nugget keywords with the most relevance to your startup’s product or service, and are top of mind among your target customers. Take these keywords and sprinkle them throughout your news release. Substitute them for other words that you may have used in your news release that don’t pack as much SEO punch as the ones that you’ve compiled.
- Launch and distribute your news release using a reputable online p.r. service. To maximize the release’s findability and virality, share it via your firm’s social media channels and post it on your site in your News, Media, or Press sections.
Here’s a quick case study about how an SEO p.r. news release delivered amazing outcomes one of my startup clients, Tsi-La Organic Perfumery.
Tsi-La is a small Pennsylvania-based manufacturer of organic perfumes. The organic perfume market is dominated by an assortment of companies that are larger, have greater sales, and more widespread distribution than Tsi-La.
To help build awareness of Tsi-La and its offerings, I crafted and launched an SEO p.r. news release about how their products offer a healthy alternative to mass market perfumes. I provided lots of facts and research that validated the health advantages of organic perfumes, and explained how Tsi-La’s unique formulations and manufacturing approach provide a variety of holistic wellness benefits to its customers. I also included essential keywords as well as the names of the biggest and most successful organic perfume manufacturers in the release. My goal was to draft off of their search traffic and have Tsi-La show up in results when prospective customers were searching for info about Tsi-La’s established competitors.
The effort delivered two business-building perks for Tsi-La:
- Broadcast media coverage: Tsi-La was contacted by a Philadelphia news station about the release, and produced a segment about the health advantages of organic perfume.
- Increase in sales: Tsi-La received orders from a European retailer, which began selling Tsi-La’s line of perfumes.
Using the above five step implementation methodology, an SEO p.r. news release will have value for your startup far beyond the usual news cycle of five to seven days that most news releases have. It will help to increase your search rank, generate new backlinks to your site, get you discovered by new potential customers, and – with a targeted campaign – possibly lead to coverage by important industry media outlets (which would provide your sales team with a powerful tool to use when pitching new business).