Mark Cuban is a multifaceted entrepreneur and successful business mogul. His accomplishments are quite extensive, including having various patents on inventions, recognition as a business leader on the TV show Shark Tank, and he is currently the Dallas Mavericks NBA team owner. A challenging and dedicated work from the start, Cuban knew that to separate himself from the rest, he couldn’t let anything get in his way, including failure or complacency.
Born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Cuban learned to work hard at a very young age selling various things to help pay for the items he wanted. In his senior year of high school, Cuban decided to enroll in the University of Pittsburgh full-time. After one year at Pitt, Cuban got accepted at the University of Indiana, where he graduated from the Kelley School Business with a B.S. in Management. After Cuban finished college, he returned to Pittsburgh, where he worked for Mellon Bank until his next move.
In the early 1980s, Cuban moved to Dallas, Texas, where he took on a sales position for Your Business Software, one of the first PC retailers in the market. This endeavor inspired Cuban to go on and start his own company called MicroSolutions. He grew the company to make close to $30 million in revenue before selling to CompuServe and made close to $2 million after the sale.
After the sale of his company, Cuban took advantage of the rising popularity of webcasting and joined the company, Audionet in the 1990s. Throughout his tenure with the company changed their name to Broadcast.net, grew to 330 employees, and made over 13 million dollars in revenue. Broadcast.net was then sold to Yahoo for the sum of 5.7 billion dollars. However, this wasn’t the end of Cuban’s involvement in media companies. He is currently the co-owner of 2929 Entertainment and the chairman of AXS TV, a channel designed specifically for live entertainment and MMA style competitions.
In 2000, Cuban purchased a majority of the Dallas Mavericks for 285 million dollars. Since Cuban bought the Mavericks, the team went from winning only 40% of their games to 69% of them. He is still the owner of the team to this day.
Cuban is also known for his role as a lead investor in the popular TV Show, Shark Tank, with fellow entrepreneurs. He joined the show in 2011 and has invested in over 85 deals on the show. His most lucrative deals were Rugged Maniac Obstacle Course, Ten-Thirty One Productions who specialize in live horror attractions, and BeatBox Beverages. Cuban invested around 1 million dollars for each of those startups. His presence on the show increased the show’s ratings and won three primetime Emmys for Outstanding Structured Reality TV Program.
Forbes estimated Cuban’s net worth around 3.9 billion dollars, and he is the richest person on Shark Tank following behind Sir Richard Branson.
Mark Cuban’s entrepreneurial journey is one of perseverance, ambition, and dedication to his dreams. That is why we wanted to highlight Mark Cuban’s 25 most memorable quotes. Hopefully, his words and knowledge on the entrepreneurial journey will help keep you focused on your goal and never give up even when things seem impossible.
- “Focus on building the best possible business. If you are great, people will notice and opportunities will appear.”
- “It’s not in the dreaming, it’s in the doing.”
- “It comes down to finding something you love to do and then just trying to be great at it.”
- “I’m always afraid of failing. It’s great motivation to work harder.”
- “Creating opportunities means looking where others are not.”
- “Time is the most valuable asset you don’t own.”
- “Because if you’re prepared and you know what it takes. It’s not a risk. You just have to figure out how to get there. There is always a way to get there.”
- “Don’t start a company unless it’s an obsession and something you love. If you have an exit strategy, it’s not an obsession.”
- “Treat your customers like they own you – because they do.”
- I love to compete. To me, business is the ultimate sport. It’s always on. There is always someone trying to beat me.”
- “There are no shortcuts. You have to work hard, and try to put yourself in a position where if luck strikes, you can see the opportunity and take advantage of it.”
- “One thing we can all control is effort. Put in the time to become an expert in whatever you’re doing. It will give you an advantage because most people don’t do this.”
- “Don’t let fear be a roadblock.”
- “The best way to predict the future is to invent it.”
- “Work like there is someone working 24 hours a day to take it all away from you.”
- “It is so much easier to be nice, to be respectful, to put yourself in your customers’ shoes and try to understand how you might help them before they ask for help than it is to try to mend a broken customer relationship.”
- “Every no gets me closer to a yes.”
- “It’s not about money or connections. It’s the willingness to outwork and out learn everyone. And if it fails, you learn from what happened and do a better job next time.”
- “Never settle. There is no need to rush.”
- “Entrepreneurs have to be brutally honest with themselves and recognize where they have added value and where they have gone along for the ride.”
- “You have to figure out what works for you.”
- “Business is the marketplace of ideas.”
- “The edge is knowing people think you’re crazy, and they’re right, but you don’t care what they think.”
- “Do we know what we are designed to be or do we find out through experience.”
- “With every effort, I learned a lot. With every mistake, I learned what not to do.”
Pingback: 25 Awesome Mark Cuban Quotes to Inspire and Motivate Your Entrepreneurial Journey – Entrepreneur – Start, Run and Grow Your Business
Pingback: 25 Awesome Mark Cuban Quotes To Inspire And Motivate Your Entrepreneurial Journey » The Wordpress Article Directory