Jeffrey Bezos, is on his way to being the richest man in the world. If you are not familiar with this business mogul, he is the founder and mastermind behind the powerhouse company, Amazon.com. Bezos is just short of inching out Bill Gates in becoming the wealthiest man in the world, but it seems almost definite that he will soon take over the title.
After working on Wall Street and bank related fields, the Princeton grad saw the possibility that the internet was becoming, and utilized it to his advantage when first starting Amazon back in 1994. At first, Amazon was just an online retailer for books, but overtime, the company vastly expanded to encompass other products and services. Amazon is now the biggest online retailer on the internet, with retail sales ranging in the billions. This visionary and hard-working individual, has revolutionized the way we shop, and now, Amazon currently ranks as the fourth most valuable website in the world.
What makes Bezos’ business approach so successful? Why is Amazon so unstoppable and a fierce leader in online retail sales? This is due to Bezos’ approach of treating each day like, “day one” of the company, and being obsessively customer focused. He never relishes on short-term celebrations, but rather, on long-term aspirations. Bezos’ determination, knowledge and keen sense of customer service is what has led to his success and made him the man he is today.
In honor of Jeffrey Bezos’ hefty accomplishments in the business world, we thought that we would highlight twenty of his most influential quotes. From what makes him successful, to facing the new challenges throughout his career, these quotes can hopefully give you the courage to pursue your entrepreneurial dreams, no matter how advantageous they may seem.
- “A brand for a company is like a reputation for a person. You earn reputation by trying to do hard things well.”
- “All businesses need to be young forever. If your customer base ages with you, you’re Woolworth’s.”
- “We innovate by starting with the customer and working backwards. That becomes the touchstone for how we invent.”
- “If you never want to be criticized, for goodness’ sake don’t do anything new.”
- “You have to be willing to be misunderstood if you’re going to innovate.”
- “The best customer service is if the customer doesn’t need to call you, doesn’t need to talk to you. It just works.”
- “We’ve had three big ideas at Amazon that we’ve stuck with for 18 years, and they’re the reason we’re successful: Put the customer first. Invent. And be patient.”
- “There’ll always be serendipity involved in discovery.”
- “It’s not an experiment if you know it’s going to work.”
- “What’s dangerous is not to evolve.”
- “Work hard, have fun and make history.”
- “I’m going to do this crazy thing. I’m going to start this company selling books online.”
- “I knew that if I failed I wouldn’t regret that, but I knew the one thing I might regret is not trying.”
- “It’s very important for entrepreneurs to be realistic. So if you believe on that first day while you’re writing the business plan that there’s a 70 percent chance that the whole thing will fail, then that kind of relieves the pressure of self-doubt.”
- “Keep our competitors focused on us, while we stay focused on the customer.”
- “One of the huge mistakes people make is that they try to force an interest on themselves. You don’t choose your passions. Your passions choose you.”
- “Part of company culture is path-dependent – it’s the lessons you learn along the way.”
- “You want your customers to value your service.
- “What we need to do is always lean into the future; when the world changes around you and when it changes against you – what used to be a tailwind is now a head wind – you have to lean into that and figure out what to do because complaining isn’t a strategy.”